The free 12-week program offers small class sizes to provide personal attention to each of the participants. LIVESTRONG at the YMCA fills an important community need by supporting the increasing number of cancer survivors, who are in a transitional period between completing their treatments and feeling physically and emotionally strong enough to return regular activity.
Often, cancer treatments leave patients deconditioned and/or chronically fatigued, which is why this program is designed to empower survivors to regain their health.
- Free, 12-week Y membership for the survivor and their family
- Two 75 minute classes each week
- Small group setting (1:6 instructor ratio)
- Full access to YMCA facilities, including Child Watch child care services
- Designed for adults who are undergoing or who have completed their cancer treatment
- Improve energy levels and self-esteem
- Build muscle mass and strength
- Increase flexibility and endurance
- Improve functional ability to do everyday tasks
- Reduce the severity of therapy side-effects and prevent unwanted weight changes
- Develop an ongoing physical fitness program so participants can continue to practice a healthy lifestyle, not only as a part of recovery, but as a way of life
Our instructors provide a supportive, safe environment for each class. Our certified instructors and personal trainers have undergone specialized training in the elements of cancer, post-rehab exercise, nutrition, and supportive cancer care.
Criterion For Participation
- Strong personal desire to enroll in the program
- Personally commit to attending all classes
- Consult with their physician prior to joining the program
- Permit Y Wellness Staff to call their physician or person giving treatment when necessary
- Obtain medical referral and waiver
- Complete YMCA paperwork and screening questionnaire